Unit V: The Growing Nation
Unit V: The Growing Nation follows the path of Manifest Destiny towards its completion. President James K. Polk will ensure that he acquires as much land as possible adding the Oregon Territories, California, and the New Mexico Territory to California.
Ten years later the Gadsen Purchase is finalized bringing the Continental America to its current size.
Slavery continues to have a large impact of the culture/economies developing in both the North and the South. The invention of the Cotton Gin revitalizes slavery and allows its numbers to increase at an alarming rate.
Northern and Southern states continue to bicker and strive for power in congress. Abolitionist began to spread their word. This Unit really sets the stage for the final unit of the class, The Civil War.
Links for Unit V:
These links can be used as additional resources for helping students prepare/succeed in Unit V.
The Underground Railroad
What is an abolitionist?
AP Human Geography
- Contact Information
- Class Resources
- Government >
US History (8th Grade)
World History Assignments
- Unit I: The First Civilizations
- Unit II: Ancient Greece and Rome
- Unit III: The World of Islam and Unit III.5 Early African and Asian Civilizations
- Unit IV: The Byzantine Empire and The Middle Ages
- Unit V: Renaissance and Reformation
- Unit VI: Revolutions and Enlightenment >
- Unit VII: Industrialization and Imperialism
- Unit VIII: WWI and Pre WWII
- Unit IX: WWII
- Unit X: The Cold War
- World History Review
- World History Assignments >
AP European History